How can we ensure that all people living with diabetes – regardless of race, income, age, education level, or gender – receive equal access to healthcare? At Sansum Diabetes Research Institute, we are supporting the steps the American Diabetes Association (ADA) is taking towards health equity by proposing the Diabetes Bill of Rights. This Bill aims to meet the needs of low-income, minority, and underserved Americans with diabetes, who we know face many barriers to healthcare. Here are the ten action points:
1) The right to access insulin and other drugs affordably.
2) The right to healthy food.
3) The right to insurance that covers diabetes management and future cures.
4) The right not to face stigma or discrimination.
5) The right to avoid preventable amputations.
6) The right to participate in clinical trials without fear.
7) The right to stop prediabetes from becoming diabetes.
8) The right to an environment that does not raise the risk of getting diabetes.
9) The right to the latest medical treatments.
10) The right to have your voice heard.